Wednesday 25 January 2012

Planning of shoot (Pt1) - Landscapes

The planning behind my landscape shoots....part 1

1. Tripod 
A tripod was a must for my landscape shoots for a number of reason:
1) As I was using long shutter speeds on some shots a tripod helped keep my camera still when shooting to avoid camera shake.
2) As I was shooting on coastal cliffs in December/January the winds were quite strong at times. Weighing down my tripod ensured my equipment wouldn’t fall over and get damaged in the wind.
3) As my tripod also has a spirit level on it I was able to level my photos as much as possible whilst ensuring I got the height I needed in a number of shots.

2. Focal Point 
The main focal point of most of my shots is the sea, however this is viewed from different angles and heights.  The rule of thirds has come into play in my images by breaking up the photo into three different sections; land, sea, sky. To give a variety of images in my selection I have changed the focal point on some of the images through different lighting conditions and post processing by enhancing certain colours and textures. In the first photo in 'Landscapes - Theme 2 - Filey' I have focused on the colours at sunset, whilst in photo 4th photo I have framed the image through an old outhouse building window and kept the focal point on the ocean..

3. Natural Lighting 
I planned both my shoots in the afternoon to make best use of the lighting. My first shoot was shot around 1:30 – 3:30pm this gave a high sun in the sky, which gave intense lighting on the beach. I used this to my advantage and shot more beach images this day and used the bright blue skies to give contrast to the image.

Golden Hours - On my second shoot I planned to make use of the amazing sunsets that the North has been having over the past few weeks. Sunrise would have been a lot harder to achieve as it would mean a 5am rise due to sunrise currently being around 7:30am!   With the sun setting in the west and Filey being on the west coast it meant it would be setting over the land, meaning I would be able to capture it shooting towards Filey promenade from the cliffs.  The angle and colour of the lighting brought a new depth to the images and created amazing textures in the clouds and skyline

No comments:

Post a Comment